Friday, November 11, 2011

The Wonderful World of Poetry

Have you ever written poetry before?  Do you have a favorite poem?  I never considered myself much of a writer, especially a writer who can write poetry.  However, I was introduced to some really interesting ways to write poetry by a distinguished writer, Barbara Novack.  She really got me thinking about poetry and wondering if  I could write some poems all myself.  Here's my favorite that I created:

Vacation
Warm, Breezy
Relaxing, eating, laughing
Beaches are my favorite kind
Vacation

Why, thank you.  I thought it was pretty great myself.  Now it's time for you to try!

Vocabulary:
1) poetry: a type of writing that shows the writer's thoughts and feelings
2) considered: to have thought about something
3) distinguished: well-known, famous for something
4) breezy: windy
5) relaxing: something that makes you feel rested

Cloze Activity:  Complete the following sentences by filling in the blanks with a vocabulary word from above.


1) The student was ______________ for the Student of Month because she is such a great student.
2) I love riding my bike in the fall, especially on a ___________ day.
3) My vacation was very __________, I was always feel rested laying on a beach!
4) I like to express my feelings, so I began writing ____________.
5) Ms. Kennedy is a colleague of mine, she is also a ____________ writer.

Grammar Point
We have talked about adjectives many times in class.  Synonyms are words that mean the same or close to the same thing.  For example, breezy is a synonym for windy.

Grammar Exercise
Can you think of synonyms for the following words?  Write a synonym for each of the following adjectives.

1) tired __________
2) happy ___________
3) sad _____________
4) smart _____________
5) skinny ____________

No comments:

Post a Comment