Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Schoolhouse Rock!

In class, we are always talking about some kind of grammar aspect.  For most students, grammar can be a rather dull and boring subject to talk about.  When I was younger, I didn't think it was that interesting either.  Recently, I was discussing grammar with some of my colleagues and they recommended that I use the cartoon Schoolhouse Rock to demonstrate some grammar concepts.  Schoolhouse Rock was a popular cartoon that was originally on the air from 1973-1985.  It later came back on the air in 1993 and ran until 1999.  Each week, viewers would learn a song that taught something.  The subjects taught on Schoolhouse Rock were grammar, science, economics, history, mathematics and civics.  So, to enhance our knowledge of grammar, I have included a video that I want you all to watch.  This video is entitled "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here." This video will help you better understand adverbs.



Vocabulary 
1) aspect: one part of something
2) dull: not shiny or not exciting
3) colleagues: the people you work with
4) cartoon: animated TV show, made from drawings
5) demonstrate:  to show
6) concepts: an idea

Cloze Activity: Complete the following sentences by filling in the blanks with a vocabulary word from above.


1) Mariah is not that interested in social studies, she thinks its rather ___________.
2) Using music sometimes helps us remember certain school _____________.
3) We can use Schoolhouse Rock to _________________ certain grammar topics.
4) One _________ of grammar that Schoolhouse Rock sings about is conjunctions.
5) Many of my ____________ and I like to share different internet videos to use in our classrooms.
6) There are many educational ____________ like Schoolhouse Rock that can be used in the classroom.

Grammar Point
Adverbs are words that modify verbs or sometimes adjectives.  This means that adverbs answer the questions when? how? in what way? and to what extent? For example, in the sentence "Recently, I talked to my colleagues," recently would be the adverb which answers the question when?  When did I talk to my colleagues?  Recently would be the answer.

Grammar Exercise
Watch the above Schoolhouse video again and then identify the adverbs in the following sentences.  Underline the adverb in each sentence.

1) Maya quickly read the book for ESL class.
2) We went to the restaurant yesterday.
3) He carefully completed his math homework.
4) Jayson, come over here!
5) I will visit my grandmother tomorrow.

1 comment: